Almost everyone associates recovery from addiction with the office of a therapist. That’s not always the case. When you work with the specialists at the San Antonio Recovery Center, there are other options, too. The case in point is experiential therapy.
When Talk Therapy Isn’t the Immediate Answer
An experiential therapy program features a broad range of possible engagement options. Examples include:
- Ropes courses that let you coordinate with peers who’re participating in the activity
- Recreational therapy that focuses on regaining health and stamina through appropriate exercises
- Yoga, which combines breathing exercises with stretches and slow movements
- Art, which emphasizes the opportunity for alternative expressions
- Outdoor activities that take you out of your comfort zone
Experiential therapy is ideal when you don’t feel safe or comfortable during traditional talk therapy. Maybe sitting inside a therapist’s office feels unnatural. Besides that, you might have had bad experiences with this treatment modality. Interacting with a counselor is easier when you’re doing something.
How Experiential Therapy Facilitates Recovery from Substance Abuse
San Antonio Recovery Center therapists customize your care approach for you. They do so after assessing your needs. For some, there are intrusive thoughts and unwelcome emotions from a traumatic event. It’s easier to talk about these emotions and thoughts while outdoors.
For others, an experiential therapy program fills a void that self-isolation created. You’ve been abusing drugs so long that you don’t know how to interact with others. Being side by side with a therapist feels better than face to face. During your treatment with addiction therapy services, you work on counteracting it.
In many ways, experiential therapy opens the door to discussions by creating hands-on opportunities. You might be out of your comfort zone. Similarly, an activity can become frustrating or stressful. Maybe it reminds you of times when you longed for the drug the most.
This enables you to communicate your trigger points to the therapist. Because you can find ways to pinpoint the stressor, the addiction specialist can now customize other treatment protocols for you. Care approaches include:
- Family therapy, which lets you bring in loved ones to develop deeper involvement in your recovery efforts
- Dual diagnosis treatment that’s part of most Texas addiction rehab programs
- Trauma treatment for situations from the past that you need to process in a safe setting and with professional help
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy that focuses on the lessons from experiential therapy to undo dysfunctional coping strategies
- Meditation, which emphasizes the importance of relaxation and removal of stress stimuli for rational decision-making
Who Should Participate in an Experiential Therapy Program?
An experiential therapy program is suitable for the majority of program participants. It focuses your energy on activities that let you look at a situation from a different angle. In this way, it can offer you possible solutions to problems you grappled with for a long time. Similarly, you might glean new insights that you share with a therapist.
Because even this part of treatment undergoes customization, you don’t have to worry about doing things you can’t. Similarly, therapists at the San Antonio Recovery Center won’t ask you to do things you feel uncomfortable with. Even if you’re doing great in the traditional talk therapy setting, consider participating in an experiential therapy program. You might learn new things about yourself you weren’t aware of before.
The time for healing is now. You don’t have to continue suffering from a chemical dependency that you wish you could just quit. Experiential therapy at the San Antonio Recovery Center could be what’s missing from your recovery efforts. Call 866.957.7885 today to schedule an intake appointment.