Benzodiazepine use is relatively high in the United States but the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that of those who misuse this medication, only 20 percent have a prescription. The other 80 percent receive the medication from some other source. People who misuse benzos will do one of the following: take it without a prescription, take more than prescribed, or take it to obtain a “high.” When people begin to abuse the medication, then benzodiazepine addiction treatment is necessary. At a prescription drug addiction rehab program in San Antonio TX, you can withdraw safely from benzos.
What are Benzodiazepines?
Benzodiazepines are a prescription sedative, such as Valium or Xanax, typically prescribed to treat people with generalized anxiety disorders, social anxiety, panic attacks, and even alcohol withdrawal, and sometimes used in other situations as well. It has a calming effect on the body and is sometimes used as a sleep aid.
How Do Benzodiazepines Work?
Benzos come in a pill form and taken by mouth. The medication may be ultra-short acting, short-acting, or long-acting. This refers to the amount of time it stays in your system, not how long it takes to go into effect. Therefore, no matter what type you take, you feel the effects quite quickly—that’s why they are beneficial for panic attacks. You will feel the effects of benzos within approximately 15 to 30 minutes ( for most).
The NIDA had this to say about how benzos work on the brain to relax you: “Benzodiazepines work to calm or sedate a person, by raising the level of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA in the brain.” The medication also affects the central nervous system and relaxes the muscles.
How Do You Get Addicted to Benzos?
Any medication that impacts your mood or works on the brain has the ability to be addictive. This medication has the ability to cause addiction relatively quick. Physicians usually only prescribe them on a temporary basis—for about 30 days. However, when prescribed for longer or people get them elsewhere, then the risk for addiction increases. In addition, people who take benzos for even one month may experience withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication. The severity of the withdrawal depends on the dosage amount and how long the person was taking the medication.
When withdrawing from this medication after taking it for some time, it’s best to contact a benzodiazepine addiction treatment center in San Antonio TX. In addition, withdrawal can be serious and may include seizures. An addiction treatment center will be able to monitor your condition and ensure your safety. Also, they also may administer other medication to ease symptoms.
Dangers of Benzos
Also. aside from the possibility of becoming addicted to benzos, other dangers exist. Emergency room visits involving benzos were often a result of mixing this medication with opioids. In addition, if you consume alcohol while taking benzos, there may be serious consequences. Finally, taking more medication than prescribed could lead to problems, as well.
Finding Benzodiazepine Addiction Treatment
At San Antonio Recovery, you’ll find a benzodiazepine addiction treatment center that truly cares. Our compassionate and professional staff is ready to help you through the withdrawal process. In addition, we will walk beside you as you step towards a bright future. Some of our programs include:
- Residential Treatment
- Inpatient Treatment
- Intensive Outpatient Treatment
- Aftercare Treatment
- 12 step Program
- Men’s Rehab Program
- Women’s Rehab Program
Don’t let addiction take over your life. A benzodiazepine addiction treatment center will bring you to a place of peaceful tranquility. Contact us at 866.957.7885, and we’ll get you on the path to healing.