Statistics indicate that heroin abuse is a growing trend in America. Sadly, the long-term effects of illicit drugs of this nature can be devastating. It is important for individuals to remain aware of the possible signs of heroin abuse in a loved one. The information below will discuss more details about the common indications of this problem and how you can show support for loved ones facing this challenge.
What Is Heroin?
Heroin is an illicit drug in the opioid class. Most people who use heroin do so recreationally as a result of the euphoria that the drug can create. Due to its powerful effects on the opioid receptors in the brain, heroin can develop a sense of intense pleasure within minutes of use. We must be able to identify signs of heroin abuse to gain control over this dangerous trend.
What Are Common Signs of Heroin Abuse?
The abuse of illicit drugs such as heroin can affect people in many different ways. However, the following signs of heroin abuse remain the most prevalent.
- Physical Changes -Those struggling with substance abuse may begin to look different physically. Changes can include weight loss, skin problems, and bloodshot eyes.
- Preoccupation with Drug Use– Those dealing with substance abuse prioritizes the use of the substance even though it is creating havoc in their lives.
- Physical Dependence and Withdrawal– In time, a person who is abusing a specific substance will become accustomed to its effects. This dependence will require a need to use more in the future to achieve the same pleasurable results. Additionally, many bothersome withdrawal symptoms are likely to occur if use is cut back or stops.
- Secretive Behaviors or Lying– Those abusing various substances will often lie or hide destructive behaviors. They may lie about their whereabouts or conceal their circle of friends who encourage their destructive behaviors.
How to Help a Loved One Suffering From Substance Abuse
The best way you can provide support to a loved one enduring substance abuse issues is to let them know you care. Many people facing these problems may have extreme guilt over their actions. They want to seek help but are not sure of the best way to go about it. A quality heroin rehab center in Texas can provide the in-depth treatment and support necessary to make a full recovery. In a heroin rehab center, you’ll find all of the following treatment options:
- Group therapy – Develop a network of support with others who are in recovery from addiction issues.
- Individual therapy – Learn more about the underlying causes of addiction and develop the healthy coping skills you need to overcome cravings.
- Family therapy – While addiction can cause harm to relationships with loved ones, targeted therapy sessions can help you rebuild those relationships and reestablish trust.
- Holistic treatment methods – Many individuals benefit from yoga therapy, art therapy, and other experiential therapies as they work through the difficult early days of recovery.
If you are ready to break free from addiction to heroin, contact a treatment center today.
About San Antonio Recovery Center
If you’re looking for a quality heroin rehab program in San Antonio, our facility is proud to provide outstanding care in a loving and compassionate environment. The San Antonio Recovery Center uses a 12-step philosophy to get to the root of substance abuse issues and effect positive changes in a person’s life.
Don’t let addiction keep you in its destructive grip. You can overcome your substance abuse issues with the help of a quality treatment facility. Contact San Antonio Recovery Center at 866.957.7885 today to find out how we can provide the support you need to heal from these issues.