If you find that your drinking habits interfere with your life, productivity, or relationships, then it is a time to quit. This is not always easy, especially when you are a perennial drinker but recovery programs come in handy. 12 step addiction treatment programs like Alcoholics Anonymous are one of the most known and highly effective treatment programs. It features a support system. The main concept is to allow you to realize how drinking hurts you and those closest to you. There are numerous benefits of AA which make it a highly effective addiction treatment program.
The Benefits of AA
There are a few pros and cons of regular attendance at Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. The main benefits are:
- Great structure – AA meetings are highly structured with timetables that guide all the sessions which are followed strictly. This sets you up for success in the recovery journey because you learn to be committed
- Alcoholics easily get inspired by their peers – During the sessions, you learn to view alcoholism as a disease when other recovering patients open up. You as such learn to have a lesser defensive mentality when you are engaged in the therapy sessions. The environment is also void of pressure giving you an opportunity to seamlessly learn from your peers for an enhanced lifetime recovery
- The chances of relapse are eliminated – AA fills the void for all long-term recovering patients even those who have fewer personal relationships. Lack of support is a leading cause of relapse and AA gives you a strong support network
- It is international – You can attend meetings even when you travel or abroad to escape the trap of relapsing abroad
- A simple approach – It entails one’s admission to being unable to control their drinking problem and a readiness to review any mischiefs in life. One can then commit to making amends to any people they have wronged and lived a sober life one day at a time
The main disadvantages include the fact that it opens up space for abuse. Especially for the female members due to the anonymity of members. Young people can be influenced negatively by experienced drug users. There is a possibility of some individuals skipping prison by going to AA therapy and some people fear getting stigmatized due to religious differences.
A Friendly Recovery Center
The 12 principles of recovery are widely applied in AA meetings. San Antonio Recovery Center offers a safe space for AA meetings and NA meetings in San Antonio, TX. NA, or Narcotics Anonymous, is another 12 step program that offers a different approach than AA. You are also accorded a wide range of comprehensive treatment plans. In addition, these include a personalized approach that fulfills your holistic recovery needs.
Some of our other programs include:
- 90-day treatment program
- Family therapy program
- Narcotics anonymous meetings
- An intensive outpatient rehab program
- Inpatient drug rehab program
Alcohol addiction is easier to overcome with the right guidance. The journey is complicated by lack of support which is why you should enroll in an effective and proven therapy program. Contact us today at 866.957.7885 to know how to start your lifetime recovery journey with the benefits of AA.