Sadly, many people today experience various types of traumatic events during the course of their lives. Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, is most commonly associated with combat veterans. But what is PTSD? How can a PTSD treatment center help you?
What is PTSD?
Before we talk about PTSD treatment, we have to know a little more about this illness. PTSD is a psychiatric condition that can happen in the months or years following a traumatic experience. This is not merely an unpleasant experience or event but one that inflicts damage upon the psyche. A PTSD treatment center often finds that those suffering from this condition have experienced extremely personal and/or violent trauma, such as:
- Sexual assault
- Robbery or personal violence
- Violent accidents
- Natural disasters
Common Signs of PTSD
Finding the right PTSD treatment requires an ability to recognize the signs of this illness. Contact a PTSD treatment center if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Flashbacks or nightmares – People with PTSD may have trouble sleeping. When they do sleep, they may experience frequent nightmares relating to the trauma they went through. Daytime flashbacks of the traumatic event can occur at any time.
- Personality changes – Due to the immense stress of dealing with PTSD on a daily basis, a person with this condition may struggle to control his mood. He may alternate between periods of intense depression, anxiety, anger, indifference, and aggression.
- Self-medication – It’s not unusual for those with PTSD to drink, use drugs, or take various medications in an attempt to deal with their symptoms. Unfortunately, this tends to only create additional problems down the line.
- Reclusive behavior- People with PTSD often want to be alone. This desire for personal space may stem from depression or anxiety surrounding their symptoms. People may also feel misunderstood or embarrassed when flashbacks occur in front of others.
Common Treatment Options for PTSD
Thankfully, there are many PTSD treatment options now available. An experienced PTSD treatment center will be able to analyze each person’s needs to come up with the right rehab plan for them. Treatment often begins with individual, group, and family counseling. Behavioral modification techniques are often required to change problematic thought processes. When co-occurring conditions manifest, it is important to acknowledge each problem separately but deliver treatment that addresses the duality of the disorder.
Exploring Co-Occurring Disorders
A dual diagnosis occurs when someone experiences an addiction and a mental illness at the same time. In the case of PTSD, the person suffering from this illness may use drugs or alcohol to cope. If a person is facing an addiction, PTSD treatment will need to include measures for addressing this additional problem. Anxiety treatment can be useful for lessening the panic that comes along with flashbacks.
Finding the Right Treatment Facility
Finding a drug and alcohol rehab that also focuses on PTSD treatment might seem very confusing. It is rational to feel alone and frightened at this time. Take heart in the knowledge that the right PTSD treatment center can give you a fresh start in life. Have a frank discussion with your family to determine where your biggest concerns lie. As you meet with various facilities, you can ensure the one you choose will meet your expectations.
Finding proper Texas addiction rehab programs does not have to be intimidating. San Antonio Recovery Center is a professional addiction rehab facility serving the San Antonio, Texas, area. This facility provides access to a 12-step philosophy in a peaceful and safe environment. The compassionate treatment team at San Antonio Recovery Center can design the best rehab plan for you based on your unique needs.
An untreated addiction does not have to keep you in its grip. With help from a skilled rehab facility, you can learn how to overcome the most severe addiction or mental health challenge. Call 866-957-7885 now to discover how to get started on the road to recovery.