One method that is effective for substance abuse addiction is a holistic therapy program that incorporates outdoor therapy. Several decades ago, doctors noticed improvements in mental health patients when they were moved outdoors for a period of time. In effect, this led to an interest in outdoor therapy. As a result, many mental health professionals began using outdoor therapy.
At San Antonio Recovery Center, our outdoor addiction therapy program is one of many options for treatment. If you or a loved one may benefit from outdoor therapy for addiction, reach out to our team today by calling 866.957.7885 or completing our secure online form. We can help you determine if outdoor therapy for addiction may be right for you.
What Is Outdoor Therapy?
When struggling to overcome drug addiction, mental health professionals use many therapies like an outdoor therapy program to assist clients in their quest for sobriety. A therapeutic approach often works best to guide those with drug use disorder.
Some of the reasons that we use outdoor therapy programs include:
- It helps clients understand their triggers
- Provides clients with the tools to resist temptation
- It delves into the root cause of why the person started using drugs
- Serves as an outlet for stress and tension
- Uncovers possible mental health disorders
Likewise, each therapeutic approach offers slightly different benefits, and sometimes they can be used in combination with each other.
Benefits of Outdoor Therapy Programs
Outdoor therapy benefits clients suffering from substance abuse on many levels. It unifies the entire person by connecting them with nature. Also, if you participate in outdoor therapy programs, you begin to heal holistically.
Some of the benefits of outdoor therapy programs include:
- Body— Being outdoors doing any type of exercise is stimulating to the heart, lungs, and muscles. If you are someone who has abused drugs, your body may be lacking fresh air and vitamin D from the sun. Many drug users don’t treat their bodies enough to exercise either. Outdoor therapy helps you get moving once again, works your muscles and lungs. Also, as your heart rate increases, your brain release endorphins, which make you feel good.
- Mind— During outdoor therapy, your mind will feel free and relaxed as you revel in nature. Nature has a therapeutic effect on the mind; it calms the heart rate and relieves stress. In addition, many outdoor activities involve mental challenges, which stimulate the mind. This release makes the mind sharper and more alert.
- Spirit—There is something about being with nature that makes you feel connected to it. This can be liberating to your spirit. Sometimes people who have deep inner conflicts or unresolved trauma feel a release of tension from being close to nature.
What Activities to Expect During Outdoor Therapy
Activities may differ depending on the location of the rehab, but they will all involve some type of outdoor excursions. Likewise, some activities may include:
- White water rafting
- Camping and hiking
- Rock climbing
How to Choose an Outdoor Therapy Program
Some places may pose as wilderness therapy programs or adventure therapy but do not live up to their name. Also, when searching for a high-quality outdoor therapy program, consider these suggestions:
- Choose a program that maintains safe standards
- Choose a program that has trained clinicians on hand at all times
- A program that incorporates psychotherapy with the outdoor therapy
- Choose a program that puts your well-being first
Programs at San Antonio Recovery Center
At San Antonio Recovery Center, trained professionals lead our evidence-based programs. Find hope to overcome your substance abuse disorders by participating in our drug addiction rehab. We offer a broad spectrum of addiction therapy programs designed to meet a variety of client needs.
Some of our programs include:
- 12-Step program
- Holistic therapy program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Inpatient drug rehab program
- Residential addiction treatment program
- Women’s and men’s drug addiction rehab
Learn More About Outdoor Therapy for Addiction Today
Find help and hope through a holistic therapy program. Don’t wait until substance abuse controls your life. Take charge of your life now and overcome your problems by reaching out to San Antonio Recovery Center. Contact us at 866.957.7885 or complete our online form, and we’ll start you on the pathway to recovery today.