Addiction to drugs or alcohol is a disease that spreads its deadly tentacles into every aspect of your life. Nothing is immune, including your job, relationships, coping skills, finances and even your physical and mental health. Because addiction is so destructive and pervasive, recovery is an incredibly time-intensive, exhausting and challenging process. Therefore, it is no wonder that many people encounter bumps in the road and begin using again. Learning coping skills for relapse prevention can reduce the chances of a destructive backslide.
What is Addiction Relapse?
Just as no person is perfect, most addiction recoveries experience one or more incidents of an addiction relapse. This happens when you lose your coping skills and begin to drink alcohol or use a drug after a period of abstinence. Although relapse is very average in the recovery process, it can be dangerous and even fatal, mainly if you use a drug in the same quantity you did before stopping. Because your body is no longer tolerant of the drug, you might overdose.
Why does relapse occur so often? The main reason lies in why you started to drink or use drugs in the first place. For most people, substance use relieves physical or psychological pain or helps a person to numb themselves. If your life gets stressful and you lack coping skills for relapse prevention, the chances are good that you will go back to the ineffective coping skills that worked, however poorly, in the past.
Coping Skills to Help You Avoid Relapse
Fortunately, there are several coping skills for relapse prevention that you can put into practice in your life. Many drug and alcohol rehab programs make these coping skills a prominent part of their therapy. They include:
- Distract yourself with other activities and wait before responding to stressors
- Talk to someone who is positive and supports your recovery
- Release negative feelings in a non-destructive way such as physical activity
- Treat yourself to something nice
- If you like to write, start a journal
Another way to avoid a relapse is to think of your addiction as a bully. The less power you allow it to have, the more liberated you will be.
How the San Antonio Recovery Center Can Help
Of all the Texas addiction rehab programs, the San Antonio Recovery Center stands apart. That’s because we combine the best and most proven treatment therapies with a person-centered model that is both effective and budget-friendly. Many of our staff members are not just knowledgeable about substance abuse; they are in recovery themselves and will offer you the empathy and understanding that can only come from a fellow traveler on the road to a drug-free future. Our specialized services include the following:
- Complete physical, psychological and addiction history evaluation
- Spacious and comfortable surroundings to promote healing
- Evidence-based 12-step and other addiction therapies
- Emphasis on coping skills for relapse prevention
- Interventions that include your entire support system of family and friends to maximize the chances of a successful recovery
Let today be the beginning of a new, drug- or alcohol-free life. Call San Antonio Recovery today at 866-957-7885 to start your journey.