You’ve probably heard about the 12 steps of recovery. However, do you actually know what they are?
What Are the 12 Steps of Recovery?
The 12 Steps of recovery are a set of guiding principles for individuals with addictions, compulsions or any other type of unhealthy behavior. They are used as the foundation for many 12-Step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and Gamblers Anonymous (GA). The steps provide a framework for changing behavior and developing healthier habits.
1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
What is the Purpose of 12-Step Recovery?
The 12 Steps provide a roadmap for individuals to begin the process of recovery and live a more fulfilling life. They can help those struggling with addiction, compulsive behavior or any other type of unhealthy habit break free from the cycle of destructive behavior and find lasting change.
The 12 Steps are not meant to be taken as a prescription for healing. Rather, they serve as a guide for individuals to take the first steps on their own unique journey of recovery. With guidance and support, the 12 Steps can be a powerful tool for lasting transformation.
Why is 12-Step Recovery Effective?
12-Step recovery is effective because it addresses the psychological, social and spiritual issues associated with addiction. The 12 Steps provide individuals struggling with addiction or compulsive behavior a set of principles to live by and develop healthier coping skills.
The program also focuses on building strong support systems for members through peer interactions and group meetings. This allows members to find comfort and motivation in knowing they are not alone on their journey.
Finally, the 12 Steps promote spiritual healing and growth through an emphasis on prayer and meditation. This encourages individuals to reflect on their lives and make peace with their pasts.
The 12 Steps of recovery have been used by millions of people around the world to help them create a more meaningful life. With dedication and commitment to the program, individuals can find strength and hope in the process of recovery.
The 12 Steps provide individuals struggling with addiction or compulsive behavior a set of principles to live by and develop healthier coping skills, while also building strong support systems through peer interactions and group meetings. By utilizing prayer and meditation, individuals can also find spiritual healing and growth throughout their recovery journey. With dedication and commitment to the program, individuals can find strength and hope in the process of recovery. As a result, 12-Step recovery is an effective tool for lasting transformation.
Let 12-Step Recovery Help You at San Antonio Recovery Center
At San Antonio Recovery Center, our experienced and caring staff can help you work through your struggles with addiction. We offer a variety of 12-Step based programs which include individual and group counseling, holistic therapies, spiritual growth activities and more. Our team of professionals is dedicated to helping you find the hope and strength you need in finding recovery.
Start your journey to recovery today and contact us at San Antonio Recovery Center. We are here to help you find strength and hope in the process of 12-Step recovery. Call us today at 866.957.7885 to learn more.