The holidays can bring a lot of happiness, but if you’re in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, it can also bring anxiety. If you can’t remember the last time you had a sober festive season, you might wonder how to enjoy a sober Christmas. The good news is that you don’t have to drink or use to have a good time. You simply have to find a way to celebrate that fits into your ongoing recovery. A drug and alcohol rehab can help you reach sobriety and begin enjoying your holidays.
Tips on How to Have a Sober Christmas
Your first holiday season in recovery can be a challenge. The best way to prepare for it is to have a plan. Consider possible scenarios involving work functions or Christmas parties. Have backup plans in place, too, in case your original plans don’t work out.
Above all, you should still feel like you can have a great time during the holidays. Try these tips to have a sober Christmas you’ll love:
- Host your own sober celebration: In case you have no party invitations that are alcohol-free, host your own event. Invite sober friends and family or others in recovery.
- Attend outings that don’t involve drinking, such as tree lighting ceremonies, ice skating, and family-friendly events. You could also volunteer to serve meals to the homeless as a way to give back.
- Leave a party early if needed: There will be times when people decide to drink around you. If you find yourself feeling uncomfortable or anxious, there’s nothing wrong with leaving early.
- Reflect on what Christmas really means to you, whether it’s family, faith or your newfound sobriety.
- BYO-non alcoholic beverage: You can still attend a party and drink by bringing your own beverages: pack tonic water, flavored water, soda or other non-alcoholic drinks. No one has to know that you’re not indulging.
Don’t Isolate Yourself
If you think the easiest way to have a sober Christmas is avoiding all parties, don’t. Just because you’re in recovery doesn’t mean you should be alone. When you isolate yourself, you might fall into negative thought patterns that can trigger addiction relapse.
You don’t have to be in a crowd to celebrate a sober Christmas. Instead, spend time with a small group of friends and family who fully support your sobriety.
Affordable Texas-Based Addiction Recovery
At San Antonio Recovery Center, our addiction specialists believe in providing accessible treatment for everyone. Texas addiction rehab programs are available for anyone seeking to begin recovery in a supportive, comfortable environment. We provide a full spectrum of treatment that includes accurate diagnosis and advanced treatment models.
The services we offer include:
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Residential treatment
- 12-step program
- Alcohol addiction rehab
Isn’t it time you celebrated holidays you can remember and cherish for life? Let the caring team at our treatment center start you on the path to sobriety. Reach out at 866-957-7885 to find out how your recovery can begin today and look forward to a sober Christmas.