Motivational interviewing can be defined as a therapeutic approach that therapists utilize to treat substance use disorders. This type of therapy can also be used in the management of other chronic health conditions. Motivational interviewing for recovery works better in people who start treatment unmotivated and unprepared to change.
Motivational interviewing is used at San Antonio Recovery Center to help people make genuine changes in their lives. If you or someone you care about may benefit from this therapeutic approach as part of the recovery process, reach out to our team today by calling 866.957.7885 or completing our online form. Our team of therapists and addiction specialists is ready to help you get started in treatment. First, however, it is helpful for you to understand exactly how motivational interviewing for recovery works.
How Motivational Interviewing Works
Motivational interviewing is a short-term program. Therefore, it only requires one or two counseling sessions. However, motivational interviewing can also be used alongside other long-term forms of therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy. During the sessions, the therapist does more listening than interviewing.
At San Antonio Recovery Center, our motivational interviewing program works by assisting you in committing to the process of change through two goals. The first one is to increase your motivational level, while the other one commits you to change. Aside from just stating the need to transform, hearing your loud expression during the commitment helps you make those changes.
Principles of Motivational Interviewing
Some of the key principles that motivational interviewing therapists utilize during sessions include:
- Empathy – During addiction recovery interviewing, the therapist attempts to see the situation from your point of view. As a result, you get to express your feelings and thoughts openly. Through this, it becomes easier for the two of you to create rapport and trust. Additionally, the counselor understands your issues, struggle, and the barrier to improvement through behavioral therapy programs.
- Development of discrepancy – Most people decide to make changes when they discover that their current behaviors are drifting them away from their goals. So, the therapist will help you to point out some of the discrepancies in the way you are currently living and the goals that you want to achieve in the future. A counselor can do this by asking you to state the pros and cons of your behaviors.
- Adjusting to client resistance – Instead of arguing and challenging you, the therapist tends to see the situation from your point of view. Consequently, this draws you even closer to wanting a change. So, the goal here is to support and not to persuade.
- Developing autonomy – Motivational interviewing places all the power on the client. In respect to this, the counselor supports and respects your ability to make decisions.
Benefits of Motivational Interviewing
Motivational interviewing at San Antonio Recovery Center has worked wonders in many people who were struggling with addiction.
Some of the benefits of motivational interviewing include:
- Promotes changes in high-risk behaviors
- Heightens your willingness to get help and fight dependence
- Minimizes the chances of future relapse
- Helps you to learn to depend on yourself by understanding that change come from within
Motivational interviewing is also utilized in the treatment of various conditions such as:
- Heart disease
- Weight loss
If you think that motivational interviewing may help you in the recovery process, reach out to San Antonio Recovery Center today.
San Antonio Recovery Center’s Programs
When you choose San Antonio Recovery Center as your addiction treatment provider, you are choosing a center that provides not only motivational interviewing but other programs and therapy options as well.
A few of our other rehab programs include:
- Inpatient drug rehab program
- Aftercare treatment program
- Intensive outpatient rehab program
- 90-Day treatment program
- Residential treatment program
Begin to Heal with Motivational Interviewing at San Antonio Recovery Center
Addiction can disrupt every aspect of a person’s life. However, help is available for those who choose to retake control of their lives. If you or someone you care about struggles with a substance use disorder, reach out to San Antonio Recovery Center today. Our motivational interviewing program is just one of our many therapy options that may be included in your treatment plan. Learn more by calling 866.957.7885 or completing our online contact form today.